威望
贡献
好评
注册
2005-05-21
只看楼主 倒序阅读 使用道具 楼主  发表于: 2007-12-28
By Liz Ryan, BusinessWeek
不错的文章,转自《商业周刊》对大家提高英语和做好自己的职业规划会有些帮助

We know it's possible, even if we haven't read "The Four-Hour Work Week" yet. We know people in our neighborhoods or we've seen people on TV who have dream jobs, so we know they exist. It's the post-millennium workplace fantasy: To do work we love and are passionate about, be paid well for doing it, and to work among smart and supportive team members under the leadership of a wise and ethical chief executive officer. Sounds reasonable on paper. Why is it so hard, in real life, to get all the dream job ducks to line up in a row? 我们知道有份理想的工作是可能的,即便我们没读过《The Four-Hour Work Week》这本书。在街坊里、在电视上,我们认识或见过那些拥有理想工作的人,所以,我们知道,"理想工作”是存在的。这就是“后千年”时代下的职场幻想:做自己喜欢的、抱有激情的工作,有丰厚的收入,同事们要聪明,会支持我们,领导要明智、有道德感。听上去合情合理。可现实的生活中,找到理想的工作怎么就那么难?

For starters, it's helpful to remember that our dream-job requirements often change over time. One job I held in my youth was a dream job at the time but would be impossible for me now because of the working hours. When I was twenty-something and single, I was perfectly happy to sit in a conference room with my workmates, eating pizza and talking shop at 11 p.m. Couldn't, wouldn't consider that now. 对于刚开始工作的人来说,要记住我们对理想工作的要求往往会随着时间发生变化。年轻时的工作在那时是理想工作,但是现在由于工作时长则一点都不理想。当我二十来岁、单身的时候,我可以晚上11点和同事们坐在会议室一起吃着比萨,兴致勃勃地讨论公事。现在不能、也不会有那个念头了。

You may have longed for a management role at one time and realize now that's the last thing you're interested in; or you may learn that you're happiest working independently, where your teammates are available if you need them but aren't in your face all day long. 也许,你曾渴望过一个管理位置而现在发觉对此毫无兴趣;或者你曾感到独自办公时最快乐,你的同事们在你需要的时候出现,但是不要整天都在眼前晃。

Put it All On Paper

写下你对理想工作的要求

The point is, dream jobs aren't a one-size-fits-all kind of deal. And that means that your ultra-customized dream job is the perfect job for you, not the whole world of job-seekers. So your task is first to understand what you're looking for, and decide which elements in your wish list are most critical for you; and then to make and execute a plan to go out and find that job. The very worst way to land a dream job is to wait for it to find you. 关键的一点是要知道理想的工作并不是“一刀切”的买卖。意思是说为你量身定做的理想工作对你来说是完美的,但对全部人来说却并不如此。因此,你的首要任务是要去了解你想要什么,你的“愿望清单”上哪些元素最适合你;然后再制定一个计划加以执行,找到那样的工作。寻找理想工作的下下策就是等工作来找你。

As you create your dream job must-have list, it's helpful to think about your wishes in two separate categories. In your first category, you'll list the "hard" attributes you're hoping to find in a dream job -- company size, industry, job function, local or global enterprise, level of management, division vs. headquarters role, etc. Geography is perhaps the "hardest" -- the least flexible of dimensions. Would you move across the country or abroad for your dream job? Will you move across town, doubling your commute? Think really hard about these questions, because these factors aren't likely to change. 在你开出一张理想工作要素清单时,将你的期望要素分成两类。在第一类中,列出的是理想工作中的“硬指标”——公司大小,行业,职能,当地或全球企业,管理程度,部门还是总部,等等。地理因素也许是最“硬”的因素——它的灵活度最小。你愿意为了理想的工作而搬家甚或搬到国外吗?你愿意让上班往返行程增加吗?好好的想清楚这些问题,因为它们是不太可能改变的。

Be as specific as you'd like as you create your dream job profile. For instance, "I want to manage human resource information systems for a global employer with 10,000 or more employees and a proactive, forward-looking management team in the apparel industry in the New York metro area." In fact, the narrower your scope, the easier it will be to identify potential employers and begin to research them. But before you do that, let's back up and list the 'soft' attributes of your dream job. After all, it's these soft elements that make these jobs so dreamy. 要尽可能明确地描述理想工作。比如:”我希望在纽约大都市地区为这样的公司管理人力资源系统,这个公司应该是在服装行业拥有1万名或以上员工的跨国公司,有一只具有前瞻性的管理团队。“事实上,你的范围越窄,就越容易发现潜在雇主,并开始对他们进行调查。但是,先别急,让我们先来说说那些理想工作的“软指标”。毕竟,让你向往的正是这些“软指标”。
1条评分
clusin 金币 +2 - 2007-12-28
分享到
离线sunny301
在线等级:1
在线时长:34小时
升级剩余时间:16小时
级别:一般会员
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2005-05-21
只看该作者 沙发  发表于: 2007-12-28
Left Brain vs. Right Brain

左脑和右脑

On this list, you want to dig into what makes a work environment appealing for you, including items like: How mature an industry do I want to work in? Typically, the more mature (heavy equipment manufacturing, for instance) the more conservative the corporate culture will be. How flat vs. how tiered an organization do I desire? If there are 14 levels of management between me and the CEO, my experience at work will be drastically different from how it will be if there are two. How "left-brain" vs. "right-brain" an organization do I want? Although neurology types don't use those left-brain/right-brain models as they once did to understand brain function, they're still useful for us in understanding our strengths and preferences. Left-brain areas are math, music, programming, and flowcharting. 在这张清单所列的元素里,你需要去探究什么样的工作环境对你有吸引力,包括有:我希望在一个多么成熟的行业工作?行业越成熟,那么企业环境就会越保守(例如,重型机器制造业)。我希望的是扁平化组织还是层次化结构?如果我和CEO之间有14层管理层,那么我的体验就会和在两层结构中的大不一样。我希望为一个”左脑“还是”右脑“组织工作?虽然神经学上现在用的左右脑模式和曾用的理解大脑功能的模式不同,这一概念在帮助了解我们的强项和喜好上依旧有用。左脑和数学、音乐、程序和流程有关。

If you're that person, organizations dominated by that type of thinking are perfect for you -- research institutions and engineering firms are two examples. Right-brain-focused people veer toward the humanities, language, and the arts. An advertising agency or a freewheeling startup might be a better fit. 如果你是"左脑”思维的人,那么以“左脑”思维为主导的组织就适合你——例如,研究院和工程公司。偏重右脑的人们倾向于人文、语言和艺术。广告代理或自主创业也许是更好的选择。

What looks like a dream job on paper will quickly turn to ashes if the organizational culture doesn't celebrate what you love to do and do well. 如果公司文化和你喜欢、擅长的并不合拍,那么看上去理想的工作很快就会变的糟糕。
离线sunny301
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2005-05-21
只看该作者 藤椅  发表于: 2007-12-28
Identify Your Dream Team

找到你的“梦之队”

More questions to answer: What kind of manager do I want? A coach who'll mentor me as we go, a hands-off manager who'll let me put my own stamp on the job, or a combination? It's just as difficult to work with too much managerial guidance as with too little, so the length of your 'leash is important. 还需要想清楚的问题有:我希望经理是什么样的? 是一路指导我的“教练”,还是放手让我自己独立行事,还是两者皆有?给予的教导太多和太少都一样的难以接受,因此对你的“约束”多少很重要。

What kinds of people do I prefer to work around? Some of us look for an environment where everyone knows his or her role and sticks to it. Some like constant change and role-shifting. Some of us need, above all, to work with smart and intellectually curious people who zip through the New York Times Sunday crossword over a half-cup of coffee, while others need a friendly, supportive team and couldn't care less about intellectual heft. What does your ideal team look like? 我喜欢在哪些人一起工作?有些人看中的环境是每个人都知道自己的角色,并始终认准这个角色;还有些人喜欢不断变化和角色变换。有些人喜欢和聪明、富有好奇心的人一起工作,这些人在半杯咖啡的时间里就能解答出纽约时报周末版的字谜游戏;有些人需要一个友善,彼此支持的团队,对智力方面无所要求。你的理想团队是什么样子的?
离线sunny301
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2005-05-21
只看该作者 板凳  发表于: 2007-12-28
What Are You Wishing For?

你希望的是什么?

A dream job could be one that takes you from here to retirement, or one that gives you a burst of learning and accomplishment and prepares you for the next thing. Some dream-job seekers are burnt-out on the frenetic pace and demands of the global business world and want to retreat to a quieter, slower corner of the marketplace. Others would be bored to tears if they weren't embroiled in a crisis at least once a day. Which type are you? 一份理想的工作也许能让你做一辈子,或者,让你学到很多东西,取得成就,让你为下一件事做好准备。有一些追求理想工作的人在快节奏和全球化商业的世界里疲惫不堪,希望隐退到一个比较安静、节奏较慢的角落。另一些人如果一天没有卷入一件危机事件,就会无聊地掉眼泪。你是那种类型?

Do you seek a dream job that will let you create your masterwork -- in code or in graphic design or even in energy bars? Or are you looking for a dream job that will allow you to teach younger people, or one that will allow you to experience cross-cultural knowledge-sharing with colleagues around the world? Is your fondest wish a job that will win you awards or allow you to create a personal brand? Or is it one that will let you be on the 5:57 train home five days a week? 你所追求的理想工作是否会让你在编码或平面设计,甚至是在高能棒领域出”大作“?或者这份工作能让你教育年轻人,还是让你能和来自世界各地的同事们分享跨文化知识的体验?你最向往一份能给你带来奖励的工作,还是一份帮助你建立个人品牌的工作? 还是让你一周里天天都能赶5:57的列车回家的工作?

Finally, how important is salary? Would other forms of compensation, from time-off to business travel to your favorite location to tuition reimbursement, affect the equation? How do you define "well compensated" at this stage of your career, and how important is that to you? 最后,工资对你来说有多重要?其它形式的补贴,例如,休假或去你最喜爱地方出差的机会,或培训补贴,会影响你的标准吗?在你职业生涯的这一阶段,你对”充分补偿“是怎么理解的,它对你来说有多重要?
离线yjoqmjvk
在线等级:15
在线时长:1495小时
升级剩余时间:25小时在线等级:15
升级剩余时间:25小时
级别:白金会员

金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2006-12-29
只看该作者 报纸  发表于: 2007-12-28
to apply for a good job is so hard now,because i can't speak english.then i must work hard.
离线sunny301
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2005-05-21
只看该作者 地板  发表于: 2007-12-28
Surely, English is very important if you want to get a good job.
离线sunny301
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2005-05-21
只看该作者 地下室  发表于: 2007-12-29
Zeroing In on the Job

关注理想的工作

Once you have a picture in mind of what you're after, begin your research. Sure, you might find a job through Monster or HotJobs, but a thoughtful dream-job search is more likely to entail seeking out and pursuing specific employers who meet your profile. 一旦你清楚了你要找寻的工作,就要开始寻找。 当然,你可以通过求职网站(如 Monster 或 HotJobs)来找,但是,用心寻找理想的工作,也应该包含寻找符合你条件的雇主。

Expect to spend weeks or months zeroing in on the companies that fit your dream job ideal. When you're clear that you've scored a hit, reach out -- not to the Black Hole of HR (especially not when your resume is unsolicited), but by locating one or more decision-makers or influential people in the organization. You'll do this via your own contacts, the business networking site LinkedIn, and professional organizations you'll investigate as you move along the Dream Job Search timeline. 你也许要花上数周或数月来关注那些符合理想工作的公司。当你找到时,出击——不是朝人力资源部的”无底洞“出击(尤其是没有要求你发简历的情况下),而是确定一位或多位那个组织中的掌权的人或有影响力的人。你可以通过自己的关系,企业关系网站LinkedIn,以及在你搜寻理想工作中发现的专业组织达成这个目的。

A request for an informational interview is a great way to learn more about an employer while making a sturdy contact inside. Just don't misuse the informational interviewer's goodwill by blurting at the end of the conversation, "Now, can you get me a job here?" Through your focused networking, employer research, and online outreach to the people inside the organization and their contacts, you'll eventually get to the conversation stage -- if the organization has any current needs, or plans to add a person with your skills. 要求进行一次信息面试(对职位和行业的信息调查)是更多地了解雇主,在内部建立稳固联系人的好方法。只不过不要滥用信息面试官的好意,不要在面试结束时冒出一句:”现在,你能给我在这找个职位吗?“ 通过建立关系网络,对雇主调查,以及网上帮助你联系组织内部人事及联系人的机构,最终,你会获得对话机会--如果这个组织目前有任何需求,或者希望增加一个拥有你所有的技能的人的话。
离线grunt
在线时长:22小时
升级剩余时间:28小时
级别:新手实习
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2007-11-13
只看该作者 7楼 发表于: 2008-01-10
we always need a good job,but job seems to not fit for us.
离线shijiawen
在线等级:5
在线时长:234小时
升级剩余时间:36小时在线等级:5
在线时长:234小时
升级剩余时间:36小时
级别:中级会员

金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2002-03-28
只看该作者 8楼 发表于: 2008-01-11
It is more important to speak,if you don't try to use it after learning,it is no use ,you can't speak english fluency for ever .
离线sunny301
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2005-05-21
只看该作者 9楼 发表于: 2008-02-08
原帖由8楼楼主 shijiawen 于2008-01-11 11:07发表
It is more important to speak,if you don't try to use it after learning,it is no use ,you can't speak english fluency for ever .

Yes, spoken English is the most important.
离线scdyztj
在线等级:3
在线时长:112小时
升级剩余时间:28小时在线等级:3
升级剩余时间:28小时在线等级:3
升级剩余时间:28小时
级别:初级会员
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2005-09-03
只看该作者 10楼 发表于: 2008-03-07
Yes, spoken English is the most important.
离线winston81
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2008-02-19
只看该作者 11楼 发表于: 2008-03-12
agree with you said , so here is a good platform to practise our oral english
离线winston81
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2008-02-19
只看该作者 12楼 发表于: 2008-03-12
agree with you said , so here is a good platform to practise our oral english
离线sunny301
金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2005-05-21
只看该作者 13楼 发表于: 2008-04-25
That's right!
The main purpose of learning English is for using, not for learning.
So please do not hesitate to use it!
离线xytrain
在线等级:2
在线时长:81小时
升级剩余时间:9小时在线等级:2
在线时长:81小时
升级剩余时间:9小时

金币
威望
贡献
好评
注册
2005-11-18
只看该作者 14楼 发表于: 2008-05-07
who could told me to learn english that what is the most important factor?

please give me a pieces of advice if you know.